William S. Callion, Jr.
Deacon William Callion retired as the Director of the Office of Public Safety, Health and Welfare for the City of Stamford. In that role he oversaw all areas related to the physical and overall well being of Stamford’s residents and visitors. Under his purview was the Police Department, Stamford Fire and Rescue, Stamford’s Five Volunteer Fire Companies, the Smith House Skilled Nursing Facility, the Department of Health and Social Services, Emergency Communications, Emergency Management, Stamford Emergency Medical Services, and Homeland Security. There are approximately 800 personnel with an annual budget of approximately $104 million in this function.
Deacon Callion was previously Worldwide Manager of Market Opportunity for the IBM Corporation. He was responsible for the development of the appropriate corporate capabilities to provide all groups within IBM the information they need about the market place, enabling them to make timely and actionable decisions concerning the various factors of marketing strategies that yield success in terms of revenue, profit, and market share. Mr. Callion retired from the IBM team after 34 years of service. During those years he traveled world-wide and was credited with developing novel and particularly effective analyses of market threats and opportunities, strategies for transformation of sales coverage, as well as procedures and processes for product distribution improvement. His past IBM marketing and sales management experience included leading as many as 500 sales professionals in a large region to achieve their goals.
In addition to many post-graduate seminars, including advanced management at Kellogg School of Northwestern University and at the Kennedy School of Harvard University, Deacon Callion has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Marketing and an MBA Degree in Management and Finance.
Other certifications include:
- Finance Industry Dispute Resolution Arbitrator (FINRA)
- Certified Emergency Manager – CEM® – (IAEM)
In the Southwestern Connecticut area Deacon Callion is known not only for his corporate/institutional work, but also for his dedicated commitment to serving the community in which he lives. Over the years he has been an active and leading participant in community organizations. Bill’s involvements have included:
- Past Chairman, Urban League of Southwestern Connecticut
- Life Member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Life Member of Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity and Past President of Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity, Fairfield County
- Choir Member Of Union Baptist Church
- Past member of the Economic Development, Charter Revision, and Fire Commissions, City of Stamford
- Former Team Leader, Aristotle 2000 Mentoring Program
- Board Member, officer, and youth mentor, 100 Black Men of Stamford
- Alumni Mentor, Pace University Graduate School
- Former Chair and member, Board of Finance, City of Stamford
- Reverend Charles Prince Community Youth Program Advisory Board
- Friends of Yerwood Center
- Board of Advisors, Marketing Department, Southern Illinois University
- Past Advisory Board Chair, New Covenant House of Hospitality, Catholic Charities
- Past Member, Stamford Partnership
- Former Trustee, Certified Employees Retirement Pension Fund
- Founding Board Chair, Union Enterprises, Inc.
- Former Board Member, Union Social Services Corporation
- Chair and Board Member, Stamford Police Foundation
- Former Member, University of Connecticut Community Board
- Former Board Member, National Conference on Community and Justice
- Board Member, United Way of Western Connecticut
- Member, Stamford Youth Obesity Task Force
- Former Secretary and past Chair, Board of Trustees, Ferguson Library
- Board Member, Community Economic Development Corporation
- Former Board Chair, Smith House Skilled Nursing Facility
- Member, Red Cross Connecticut Disaster Leadership Team
- Farm Manager, Fairgate Farm
- Adjunct Professor, University of Connecticut